Monday, March 10, 2014

great reward

Genesis 15:1 After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision.  "Do not be afraid Abram.  I am your shield, your very great reward."

I personally love these words "Don't be afraid Abram" (Don't be afraid Betty)

I am your shield (I will protect you, I am fighting your battles).

Your very great reward (I am more than enough).

Abram (like the majority of us) is still bound by earthly perspectives, what matters to him, maybe not completely aligned with God's will and way and timing.

Genesis 15:23 But Abram aid "O Sovereign Lord what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?"  And Abram said "You have given me no children so a servant in my household will be my heir."

He defined his worth only to leaving his inheritance to who and he had no son to do so.  But God had much better plans for Abram if he would just believe and have faith in God, which Abram did (Genesis 15:6 Abram believes the Lord and he credited it to him as righteousness.)

God told him

He would have a heir from his own body (Isaac; Genesis 15:4)

His descendants would be as numerous as the stars (all believers are descendants of Abram; Genesis 15:5)

His descendants would be strangers in a country not their own for 400 years (slaves in Egypt; Genesis 15:13)

God would punish the nation they were slaves in and they would come out of their country with great possessions (slaves leaving Egypt with Moses; Genesis 15:14)

Abram would go to his fathers in peace and be buried at a good old age (Genesis 15:15; Abram lived over 125 years).

Abram wanted a son/heir - that was basically it.

God wanted to give him so much more (and did so).

We in our prayers should not limit what we ask God for.  He is our great reward.  He is limitless in what he can do if it is his will.

We must believe and trust that he is capable of the impossible and trust he knows what is best in our lives according to his great will and purpose.

I will trust in you Lord.

2 comments:

  1. We're pretty sure we're smart enough to know what's good for us, huh? And yet ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our "earthly perspective" seems to be our problem.

    ReplyDelete