Sunday, October 2, 2022

Lazy September Book Reviews

I read 5 books in September.  I'm "lazy" this month in that three of the books I read, I'm taking the summary of what the books are about directly from Goodreads.  If I tried to sum up the three story lines, I don't think I would do fair justice to them.  Those are the first three books and then after Goodreads summary is my thoughts and ratings about the books:

Jell-O Girls


From Goodreads: 
 A memoir that braids the evolution of one of America's most iconic branding campaigns with the stirring tales of the women who lived behind its façade - told by the inheritor of their stories.

In 1899, Allie Rowbottom's great-great-great-uncle bought the patent to Jell-O from its inventor for $450. The sale would turn out to be one of the most profitable business deals in American history, and the generations that followed enjoyed immense privilege - but they were also haunted by suicides, cancer, alcoholism, and mysterious ailments.

More than 100 years after that deal was struck, Allie's mother Mary was diagnosed with the same incurable cancer, a disease that had also claimed her own mother's life. Determined to combat what she had come to consider the "Jell-O curse" and her looming mortality, Mary began obsessively researching her family's past, determined to understand the origins of her illness and the impact on her life of Jell-O and the traditional American values the company championed. Before she died in 2015, Mary began to send Allie boxes of her research and notes, in the hope that her daughter might write what she could not. JELL-O GIRLS is the liberation of that story.

A gripping examination of the dark side of an iconic American product and a moving portrait of the women who lived in the shadow of its fractured fortune, JELL-O GIRLS is a family history, a feminist history, and a story of motherhood, love and loss. In crystalline prose Rowbottom considers the roots of trauma not only in her own family, but in the American psyche as well, ultimately weaving a story that is deeply personal, as well as deeply connected to the collective female experience.

My thoughts: Jenny mentioned she was reading this, so I thought I would give it a try.  By the way, if you aren't following her blog, you should, lol.  She makes entertainment look so easy and her family is always having wonderful gatherings always associated with fantastic looking delicious food.  The book was an interesting memoir.  I learned a lot about the history of Jell-O that I didn't know about.  I had trouble making a connection with the "main characters" in the family story so it was hard to get into the book.  I'll give it 3 stars. 


Commonwealth

From Goodreads: One Sunday afternoon in Southern California, Bert Cousins shows up at Franny Keating’s christening party uninvited. Before evening falls, he has kissed Franny’s mother, Beverly—thus setting in motion the dissolution of their marriages and the joining of two families.

Spanning five decades, Commonwealth explores how this chance encounter reverberates through the lives of the four parents and six children involved. Spending summers together in Virginia, the Keating and Cousins children forge a lasting bond that is based on a shared disillusionment with their parents and the strange and genuine affection that grows up between them.

When, in her twenties, Franny begins an affair with the legendary author Leon Posen and tells him about her family, the story of her siblings is no longer hers to control. Their childhood becomes the basis for his wildly successful book, ultimately forcing them to come to terms with their losses, their guilt, and the deeply loyal connection they feel for one another.

Told with equal measures of humor and heartbreak, Commonwealth is a meditation on inspiration, interpretation, and the ownership of stories. It is a brilliant and tender tale of the far-reaching ties of love and responsibility that bind us together.
 
My thoughts:  This was another book that was all over the place in the story line.  We were in the past with the kids' childhood, then adults, etc.  Hard to keep track at times.  It was an interesting story line and the writing was really good.  I'll give it 4 stars.  Just keep track of things, lol. 


Under the Banner of Heaven:  


From Goodreads:  A Story of Violent Faith.  A multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. This is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior.

Jon Krakauer’s literary reputation rests on insightful chronicles of lives conducted at the outer limits. In Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, he shifts his focus from extremes of physical adventure to extremes of religious belief within our own borders. At the core of his book is an appalling double murder committed by two Mormon Fundamentalist brothers, Ron and Dan Lafferty, who insist they received a revelation from God commanding them to kill their blameless victims. Beginning with a meticulously researched account of this "divinely inspired" crime, Krakauer constructs a multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. Along the way, he uncovers a shadowy offshoot of America’s fastest-growing religion, and raises provocative questions about the nature of religious belief.

Krakauer takes readers inside isolated communities in the American West, Canada, and Mexico, where some forty-thousand Mormon Fundamentalists believe the mainstream Mormon Church went unforgivably astray when it renounced polygamy. Defying both civil authorities and the Mormon establishment in Salt Lake City, the leaders of these outlaw sects are zealots who answer only to God. Marrying prodigiously and with virtual impunity (the leader of the largest fundamentalist church took seventy-five "plural wives," several of whom were wed to him when they were fourteen or fifteen and he was in his eighties), fundamentalist prophets exercise absolute control over the lives of their followers, and preach that any day now the world will be swept clean in a hurricane of fire, sparing only their most obedient adherents.

Weaving the story of the Lafferty brothers and their fanatical brethren with a clear-eyed look at Mormonism’s violent past, Krakauer examines the underbelly of the most successful homegrown faith in the United States, and finds a distinctly American brand of religious extremism. The result is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior.

My thoughts:  The book was absolutely fascinating to read the story of the Mormon faith.  It is gruesome with the murders described but the author did a good job in detailing how they came to happen and the mindset of the murderers.  It is not an easy read but a very informative one.  I give it 5 stars only if you "enjoy" reading nonfiction about religion.


Hotel Nantucket:  

My Summary
 I've read a lot of Elin Hilderbrand's books in the past and have enjoyed them and this one was just as enjoyable as the others I've read.  The story is of a hotel on Nantucket that has been empty for several years.  It is bought by a billionaire with the chief purpose of getting a 5 key rating by an elusive Instagram influencer who checks out hotels, motels, and the like basically undercover and then writes a review a month about the hotel, motel or the like.  She has never given a 5 key rating in the past and Xavier Darling, the billionaire who bought the hotel, wants to get the first 5 key rating.  He remodels the hotel, gets a staff hired under the general manager Lizbet, and the hotel opens.  There is a ghost in the hotel but it is a cute story about the ghost and enjoyable to read (not like the book The  House Across the Lake that I read last month with demon possession).  At the end of the book, Ms. Hilderbrand does a travel guide basically of places to visit in Nantucket, how to get there by ferry or plane, restaurants, hotels to stay in, stores to shop in, etc.  I skimmed through that part of the book as I doubt I'll ever get to Nantucket.  All in all, a great story.  I'll give it 5 stars.


What Happened to the Bennetts:  


My summary:  The Bennetts end up in a witness protection program because they saw a murder committed between a mafia type gang member who killed the mafia king's son, also killing the Bennetts teenage daughter. The Bennetts think that is why they were put in witness protection but the story, of course, is more complicated than that with the usual twists and turns associated with a suspense mystery type story like this is.  The family (father, mother, brother) are grieving the loss of the daughter as well as trying to keep themselves alive in witness protection and the father is trying to figure out why they were targeted in the first place.  The story does all wrap up in the end quite nicely.  An easy read.  I give it 4 stars.

So, I'm up to 54 books for the year.  My goal was 52 books so I made that! 

As always, let me know what you are reading :)

 

51 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your 'book reports'. I like your wording but 'official rundowns' are good too. My problem is I am stuck on the 100 page quick reads of Westerns I MUST get back to some real novels. BUT the Westerns lately have a lot of research and are actually more historically correct, but still predictable, the cowboy gets the most beautiful girl in the world and toe good guy always wins. ;-)
    A visit here is always teaching and I like it. Hugs to the guitar player and that Corgi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! It was really hard to try to put into words a summary of those 3 books without giving away too much of the story line. I left it up to the "experts" to do it. Those 100 page quick reads almost sound like "short stories". At least you are reading! That corgi is a stinker for sure!

      betty

      Delete
    2. ;-) I also meant to say I just made Jello, and am amazed at the stories behind and attached to the treat. Love ya...

      Delete
  2. Gosh, Betty. My hat's off to you for making it through each of the first three books. Based on content, I'm afraid I'm far too shallow to fully enjoy them. Or perhaps, after the last year I shy away from anything tthat's possibly draining. (I will, however, be checking out Jenny's blog.) Hotel Nantucket sounds fun, and I'm always up for anything written by Lisa Scottoline. Thanks for another entertaining recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy the story line of the Jell-O Girls to learn that history and I was fascinated by the Mormon one. Hubby and me do a nightly (well about 3-4 times a week) Bible study of sorts and we just finished a book about Islam so it was interesting to read about the Mormon religion; a lot of it I didn't know. I have to be careful what I write since I'm not sure who reads my blog :) Hotel Nantucket was a good "light" read :) I think you'll like it. I think What Happened to the Bennetts was the first Lisa Scottoline book I read. You'll like Jenny's blog. I always walk away wanting to be part of her family, lol :)

      betty

      Delete

  3. Under the Banner of Heaven sounds like a compelling read. Will add it to my TBR list.
    Hugs and blessings, Betty.🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very compelling Veronica. Certainly opened my eyes a lot to things! Very in depth and thorough. I think the author researched the book before he wrote it for about 3 years!

      betty

      Delete
  4. So many books to read these days. Such great choices we have. Thank you for these reviews.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. There are just too many books out there. One could spend all day reading and still not get them all read!

      betty

      Delete
  5. These all sound like wonderful reads. Congratulations on surpassing your goal even before the end of the year. Don't you just love Jenny? I always read her blog and wish I was a part of her family. She is a good soul.
    I hope you have a great week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wish I could be a member of Jenny's family :) Thanks Lori! I was surprised I read that many books. I had never kept track of them before year by year :) You too have a great week!!!

      betty

      Delete
  6. Excellent reviews. The first one sounds like it might be interesting just to find out all the history of jello. I would probably have a hard time with the second because I don't do well with books that jump all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how extensive a history Jell-O had . I do remember eating a lot of it with salads and the like over my younger years but none for ages it seems like!

      betty

      Delete
  7. I just picked up What Happened to The Bennetts at the library yesterday! I haven't started it yet but I'm glad you thought it was good! I agree about your comments about Jenny! Her family get togethers always look so fun and the food looks awesome! I have decided to keep a little piece of paper with notes on it to keep track of the characters when I read books like Commonwealth! I keep losing track of them and have to go back! Thanks for the book reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea about the note keeping for books like Commonwealth, Jeanette. I'll have to try that! What Happened to the Bennetts is a predictable but entertaining book. Very light reading! I'm "envious" of you in that you got to meet Jenny :)

      betty

      Delete
    2. I was excited to meet her like I would be excited to meet you if we ever get the chance! Jenny is a sweetheart, that's for sure!

      Delete
    3. I am always envious when a blogger friends gets to meet another blogger friend in person :) Who knows, I might get up to Michigan or you down to Phoenix :)

      betty

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy the books written by Elin Hilderbrand. I'v read several and also the one you mentioned. Thanks so much for the book reviews. There a really some different ones from what I'm used to reading. I read 2 to 3 books a week, so I'm sure I've read more than you have, but I'm always finding something else new to read and can't seem to stop, even though I should really be doing other things. But I get lost in books and can't give them up. Good for you going over your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to read different genres of books this year so that's why some of them are not the normal ones I would even be reading, but all in all I have enjoyed pretty much everything I have read so far this year :) So many good books out there! I agree how easy it is to get wrapped up in a book. Sometimes they are hard to put down!

      betty

      Delete
  9. The message above should have read, Love ma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Jell-O Girls sounds interesting, though I have to ask if there was any answer to the cancer question? It seems to be genetic for the most part. I was excited to read these reviews, as I’ve read 3 of the book! I’ve read all of Ann Patchett’s books, but Commonwealth was not my favorite. She’s a great writer. I of course loved The Hotel Nantucket. Those books are so enjoyable and I would like to visit that area someday, but who know? Under the Banner of Heaven is probably one of my most favorite nonfiction books of all time! After reading it, I became obsessed with Mormon books and the culture. It is so creepy. I have a cousin who turned Mormon while living in New Mexico because of a Mormon neighbor who befriended her. And we had Mormon neighbors a few doors down from us at our last house (they moved to Utah right before we moved). I’ve known a few others. It’s just fascinating to me how people get sucked into cults. I think if Americans researched what actually takes place in these reli, they’d be shocked! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the book, too.

    I just finished Friends and Strangers by J Courtney Sullivan and loved it. All about relationships and how some people are important in your life, but sometimes just for a short time. Great characters and dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes place in these religions is what I meant

      Delete
    2. I did like your abbreviation for it, lol :)

      betty

      Delete
    3. No, as I remember it, there was not any answer to the cancer question. I do agree with you that it was more genetic. I read the Dutch House by Ann Patchett and really liked it so that's why I picked up Commonwealth from the library. It had potential with an interesting story line it just didn't flow like some other books. I kept reading parts of Under the Banner of Heaven to my husband because it was so fascinating how things came to be and how the religion started, etc. I knew a little about it but definitely learned so much more after reading this book. I had to google the brothers to see what was happening with them and found out that Ron Lafferty died in prison back in 2018 of natural causes at the age of 78. It is fascinating how people do end up in cults. I think they are looking for something and they find it there. I'm going to check out the book you mentioned but it will probably be a few months down the road. I got a lot of free books from Prime, they usually give two free ones a month, that I've been collecting and not reading so I'm going to be working on those to clear them out of my tablet. BTW, I finished Lessons in Chemistry today. I absolutely loved it. I haven't laughed out loud in reading a book in a long time. It will be reviewed in October's list, but definitely a 5 star!

      betty

      Delete
    4. Wow! So, you loved it? My main beef with the Chemistry book was that I felt the author was over the top in her vendetta against religion.

      Delete
    5. I did like it (Lessons with Chemistry). I laughed out loud in so many places (like how the daughter got to be named how she got to be named). The author definitely did have a grudge against the Catholic church. You had mentioned that too when you said you had read it a few months ago. I kind of discounted it because it was fictional. I would have been more upset if it was a nonfiction book that was "talking smack" about it. I wonder if she was writing from personal experience as in something in her own family's life and took this fictional approach to list her grievances. But overall I did enjoy the book :)

      betty

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on 54 books!
    The Jell-O book sounds interesting. As I was reading your description, I thought the cancers would be traced back to Jell-O!
    I read Under the Banner of Heaven and watched some of the series on Hulu. We lived in Utah for a few years, very culty vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought so too about the Jell-O and cancer but no clear indication. I didn't realize Under the Banner of Heaven was a series until I started googling it after I finished the book. I wanted to see if the Lafferty brothers had been put to death (found out Ron had passed in 2018 of natural causes). The series would have to be good I do believe.

      betty

      Delete
  12. I am amazed at how many books you have read. Thank for sharing your thoughts on them. A few of them sound really interesting to me. One of these days I'm going to get off the internet and TV to start reading books. Hope you are having a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a nice week, Debby. It looked like you had a nice birthday time with James :) Make it a goal in 2023. Fifteen minutes of reading a day :)

      betty

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the reviews. I just started reading "The Naked Sun". The second of the Isaac Asimov robot classics. I read the first one, "Caves of Steel" a couple of months ago. These are well-written classic science fiction from the 1950s with a basic mystery story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to venture into science fiction. My sister read a lot of Isaac Asimov in her teen years. It is not my usual genre that I read, but there's a first for everything :)

      betty

      Delete
  14. Not sure I would enjoy Jello Girls, sounds too depressing. The last two books might get added to my list. My to read list keeps growing faster than I'm getting books moved from it to the read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jell-O Girls was a bit depressing for sure. I've been trying to read out of my usual genre so that's why I picked it up to read. I know what you mean about the to be read list. Mine does continue to grow. Right now I'm trying to get "caught up" with all the books I got from Amazon Prime free. I have a few of them and I can't get any more (Prime says you can only have 10 of them at a time and I'm at that limit) so I'm concentrating on reading those over the books I get from my e-library.

      betty

      Delete
  15. Oh Betty I'm so sorry you did not like Jello Girls more! I am not finished with it because I got sidetracked. But I tend to like depressing books, haaahaha! That book by Lisa Scottoline looks good! Love to Winslow xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read Jell-O Girls as I'm trying to read more out of my usual genre of books. I can go for the depressing books or the morbid. Maybe I'll have to give this book another read in a few months. We'll see :)

      betty

      Delete
  16. 54 books?! Wow, you are a prolific reader. Under the Banner of Heaven sounds super interesting, but maybe too graphic for me. It reminds me of a historical fiction series related to mormonism I read several years ago that was excellent. I couldn't put those books down. The first book is called For Time and Eternity by Allison Pitman. Worth the read!! I'm afraid my fiction reading has really slowed down since I've enrolled in a spiritual formation program. Lots of good reading there, but nothing light and easy! I do have one historical fiction on the go and it's called Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin. I've just started it, and haven't really gotten captured by it yet. I'll let you know how it goes! It does jump back and forth in time, so that's always a little confusing for my aging brain,ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that historical fiction series. It does sound interesting. I don't like when books jump around. It can be confusing like you said!

      betty

      Delete
    2. I finished Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin and it was very, very good! Highly recommend it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for letting me know Neta!

      betty

      Delete
  17. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. I'm reading a few different than my usual genre also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "What Happened to the Bennetts" sound really good! I think I'll be putting that one on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my coworkers recommended "Under the Banner of Heaven". It's on my to read list, so nice to see another good review for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of history in it, but well worth the read!

      betty

      Delete
  20. You're a very prolific reader (54 books!), and a very good reviewer, Betty! My line of books is more in the non-fiction area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duta! I am trying to read more nonfiction :)

      betty

      Delete
  21. I read "What Happened to the Bennets" during the summer. Great read! I haven't been reading anything lately but I have a list of books I want to read. No time these days but I hopefully will get back into it soon. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day you'll have more time to read :) Glad you enjoyed "What Happened to the Bennetts" too :)

      betty

      Delete