Sunday, September 11, 2022

Remembering Jeff

I wanted to write about Jeff for a little bit, but every time I thought about writing about him it just didn't seem like the right time.  However, today, being September 11th, I think it is the right time (if there is ever a right time to write about him) as I think you'll understand why I chose this day to share Jeff with you all.

Jeff was a casualty of September 11th.  He wasn't in one of the ill-fated planes that day or in either Twin Tower or the Pentagon.  In fact, he wasn't even on the East Coast or surrounding area on September 11, 2001.  He was in the Phoenix, Arizona area.  I'm not sure he was even working that day, but he soon would be working and soon would be traveling to New York City.

Jeff was a fireman/EMS/first responder in our area.  He also trained for and was on the Search and Rescue team, so when the call came out for search and rescue teams to come and aid in the search, etc after September 11th, Jeff and his team took up the call and traveled to New York City to assist as they could.

I'm not sure how long Jeff was in New York City and what exactly their part was in the search and rescue or recovery or whatever, but he was there long enough to be exposed to the dust and the toxic fumes that were there at Ground Zero and long enough to develop heart and lung problems because of his work there.

It didn't take long afterwards for him to start having those heart and lung problems that would eventually lead to him having to retire, medically disabled, from being a firefighter/EMS/first responder here.  

I don't know much about the years between 2001 and 2021 with what Jeff was doing, how he was feeling, how affected his heart and lungs had been.  I came to "know" him shortly after he started working at the restaurant where my son is a chef.  Jeff had a passion for cooking.  He also wanted to be productive as much as he could. My son mentioned Jeff when Jeff started working there, telling us Jeff's story, including his involvement at Ground Zero and what it had done to his health.  

Over the time that Jeff worked at the restaurant, son would share more about Jeff, his ongoing health issues, things going on in his personal life, etc.  Jeff had been in a long-term relationship that had ended and was having trouble coping with it.  Son and him bonded as friends and son spent a lot of time with Jeff, just hanging out together when they could after work, etc.  Jeff also made an effort to go to church and had dedicated his life to Jesus.  Week after week Jeff would invite son to go to church with him.  Son would say sometime he would go, but it never came to be.

Jeff got Covid and got really sick from it and was in the hospital for about a month, but he recovered.  He also had to miss a lot of work because of his heart and lung problems and he always worried that Chef would fire him because of his inability to work a consistent schedule.  But when Jeff was there, he worked as hard as he could with what he had to work with and his job was always secure.

The beginning of April 2022 Jeff had a heart attack.  He was itching to go back to work as soon as he could be released from his doctor.  He did eventually make it back to work.  I never met Jeff but early May I invited over a waiter from the restaurant and his girlfriend to lunch at son's house   The waiter was so personable, from Italy, had left San Diego to move to Phoenix because of a woman he had met on vacation down in Mexico.  Their story mimicked son and DIL's story in that son had moved to Phoenix from San Diego to be with her when she moved to be closer to her mom.  The waiter had taken great care of us at the restaurant that I just had to invite him over for lunch.  It was easier to have the event at son's house so we brought the food, son cooked for us, and we enjoyed a wonderful afternoon together.  Jeff was supposed to come too but he got delayed at his dad's house.  Jeff had a motorcycle that he would often drive up on the weekends to his dad's who lived in a mountain town 2 hours north of Phoenix.

A few weeks later, on a Thursday evening our son called us.  You have to know that son never calls us unless he is in trouble, needs money or now having a problem with something in the rental house of ours that he and his family live in.  It is not that he doesn't want to talk to us, he just texts occasionally and we see him a few times a month for meals together.  We have a mantra "no news is good news" when we don't hear from him.  So when he called, right as we were sitting down to eat dinner, we were on alert.  What is wrong now went through my head along with how much is this going to cost us.  We did the usual greetings, hi, how are you, etc.  And then he says "Do you remember Jeff?" The minute he said that, I knew.  I just didn't know the rest of the story.

Jeff had passed away that day.  What I gather is the preceding weekend he had been up visiting his dad.  Jeff had one of those defbrillator things implanted in his chest to help control his heart rhythm.  It would shock him at times.  Apparently this shock on that particular day was a pretty intense one and it made Jeff lose his balance.  He fell, hitting his head, losing consciousness.  Obviously, he was transported to a hospital.  I surmise, but am not 100% sure, that he might have had a brain bleed or similar as a result of his fall (being on blood thinners) and there might have been some type of irreversible damage and he was eventually taken off of life support.  

Jeff had signed up to be an organ donor.  Obviously, his heart and lungs would be of no "value" but his kidneys and liver were and those were donated.  

Son relayed what had happened.  Of course he was devastated and sad.  It was also the first time he had to talk about death to his son (our grandson).  Our grandson knew Jeff and had spent time with him.  They said a prayer for Jeff.  

Curious as I am, I "had" to find out more about Jeff so I looked him up on Facebook.  That was the first time I saw a picture of him and he looked different than I had pictured him to look.  He had written this back in October 2021 about his experience of working at the restaurant:

In April I applied for a job at (name of restaurant) and Chef hired me that first day. I was upfront about being sick, but I was dying faster just sitting on the couch or doing nothing, and going back to work, even for a few hours was what I needed.
Since April, I’ve been in the hospital several times, got COVID, and have gone home early because I was struggling to catch my breath.
In the restaurant world, calling in sick isn’t a solid career move and I was sure after the days I’d missed they’d have to find someone who wouldn’t be gone, or miss time like I had. I had genuine concern they were going to cut me loose, and I’d found a place I really enjoyed, even if it turned out to be a few hours a week. I was wrong. They. Didn’t. Flinch. One. Time. Not. Once.
Since day one everyone has treated me like family. Chef's wife, one of the owners, checked on me every day. My coworkers did the same. (Son and another chef) were simply amazing.
I spent years in a job where brotherhood was the cornerstone of the bond we had. It doesn’t hold a candle to where I am now.
I say all of this so you know what they’ve done for me. What they continue to do for me. I wasn’t going to post this but I think it’s important for you all to know.
If you can, please support the restaurant as much as they’ve supported me. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

I cried when I read it. (I put the name of the restaurant in parentheses as well as the name of son and the other coworker; the original Facebook message had both the name of the restaurant and son/coworker's names in it but for privacy chose to do it this way).

I cried more a few days later when this was posted on the restaurant's Facebook page (written by Chef's wife):

How does one put into words the loss of a dear friend and very special cook we all came to love? Jeff had been a First Responder here in AZ when his team got the call to help find lost souls on 9/11. They went. After a grueling two weeks, Jeff and team came home. Not soon after, Jeff began his illness after being exposed to the highly hazardous materials from the site. He came to work with us over one year ago to regain his love of the culinary arts. He could not have been a happier man doing what he loved most with Chef and his incredible team. We loved him at first sight. Always a smile and eagerness to learn and be part of the magic.
Troubles hit paradise shortly after coming to work for us when the illness of his heart began to spiral. We’ve lost count as the many times we had to call 911 to have him sped to the emergency room. As we awaited news, he wrote “So sorry and apologies to everyone.” Really Jeff??? All we wanted to know was if he was recuperating; and he was! So back to his beloved dream job. Every time. His last episode was the one he never came back from. May you fly with the angels dear Jeff and know your beautiful energy and vibrations will be with us forever. We will miss you to eternity.

I asked son a week or so after Jeff had passed how it was going in the restaurant. He said it was tough not to see Jeff in the kitchen working alongside him and to know Jeff would not be working alongside him again. He said one thing Jeff always did, before the start of service, was to show Chef the crazy socks he wore (he had quite a collection of them). Chef would always shake his head but always with a smile on his face.

I never met Jeff, but I will always remember Jeff. Thank you Jeff for your service to our country in a time when it was needed.

Jeff leaves behind a 21 year old son, parents, a brother, numerous relatives and a boat (another story for another day).


38 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tribute to Jeff. A great loss to those who knew and loved him. He sounded like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did sound like a wonderful person. I really liked that weekly he would invite my son to church. I'm sure along the lines he was also probably praying for my son and his family.

      betty

      Delete

  2. Fine tribute to Jeff, the fireman and restaurant worker!
    How dreadful for parents to be predeceased by their son!
    May Jeff's kind soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Duta. How sad for his parents. I didn't mentioned it, forgot to, but Jeff was 53 years old when he passed. Too young.

      betty

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tribute Betty!! I'm so glad that Jeff found his way into your son's restaurant and hearts. I'm sure it made you feel good to read the FB post talking about how wonderful your son is. This is a real tear-jerking post for so many reasons.
    Thank you for your service on 9/11 and rest in peace Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did make me feel good reading that FB post. I later learned whenever Jeff was hospitalized son would take a "basket" of goodies to him, favorites of his in candy and treats. Oftentimes he couldn't see him but was able to leave the "basket" for him. Jeff was so surprised someone would do something like that for him. I think Jeff was really humble. I really would have liked to have met him.

      betty

      Delete
  4. What a special person Jeff was, and how special your son and coworkers were and the "family" they created. A big hug for everyone. Thanks for sharing Jeff's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a godsend with son getting that job at the restaurant. They are family and they treat the family of the employees just as well. We went there for dinner last night, having company from out of town, and we were treated like royalty. Jeff is the first person I "knew" that was really impacted by the events of September 11th. I felt his story should be shared :)

      betty

      Delete
  5. What a splendid and heartfelt post, Betty! And the words of the Chef's wife made me tear up. Wow.
    However brief their friendship, I've no doubt Jeff left footprints on your son's heart. What a legacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jeff left footprints on my heart too and I never met him. A lot of the restaurant employees, chef and his wife, son of course, went to Jeff's memorial. Because Jeff was of the firemen's association he had some special "honors" bestowed upon him at the memorial. There was a fire engine there in his honor and someone took a picture of the staff from the restaurant by it. It moved me to tears to see them all there honoring him.

      betty

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing that nice tribute to Jeff. I'm sure there are many like him that helped out at that time. I am thankful for their service. There were so many that were lost in 9/11 but also many who helped out. We can never forget people like them. May God Bless our Country ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Ma, there are a lot of others who helped out during that time. I think all their stories should be told of their bravery, not knowing what it would ultimately cost them with their health and eventually their lives.

      betty

      Delete
  7. That is a heart breaking story, but an important one to tell. We always remember those who lost their lives on 9/11, but we don’t hear the stories of heroes like Jeff. Two weeks! It is unbelievable that in that short time, he would contract an illness that he’d have to fight for the rest of his life. So sad for all who knew him and his family. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Bijoux, and you are right we don't hear the stories of people like Jeff. And sadly there are so many others like him that went in to help, not knowing the consequences it would do to their health. I didn't think to include this in the post but he was "only" 53 years old when he passed.

      betty

      Delete
  8. That is so sad. He sounds like a wonderful person who will be very missed by all who knew him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree. Son and family came over for lunch today. I told him I was thinking of Jeff today. He said he was too :(

      betty

      Delete
  9. Oh my what a story. THANKS We could feel the love and concern and see a man dedicated to serve and also to live.
    You did good on giving honor where honor is due. When I read or hear stories of this nature, I wonder how many unsung heroes are there, but are happy with no recognition, just doing their job of living.
    Good on you lady. You the Queen and 'em Corgi's.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! You are right, there are lots of stories of unsung heroes out there and not just attached with September 11th. All their stories should be told I do believe!

      betty

      Delete
  10. A beautiful tribute to Jeff, Betty.
    But so heartbreaking.
    May his soul rest in peace.

    Hugs and blessings, dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! It is heartbreaking but I think he lived a life well lived, even if it was a short one. May your week be a kind one!

      betty

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful tribute to Jeff, Betty. Very very poignant. I know Jeff sees it and he is smiling. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. He, like so many, rushed in to help others, not knowing what it might cause them down the line. True heroes all of them!

      betty

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing this story about Jeff. It is beautifully written. He sounds like a very nice man and it is sad that he had to suffer so much. It was so nice that the restaurant give him a place to work and that they worked with his health issues. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Debby. I just felt his story should be told; like everyone who perished somehow in that terrible tragedy. The "best" thing for our son has been that restaurant and the chef and his wife. They truly consider their employees family :)

      betty

      Delete
  13. There are so many more victims of 9/11 than anyone will ever know about. People like Jeff, who sacrificed everything will go uncounted but hopefully will not be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! For probably years to come too! I don't think Jeff will ever be forgotten by my son and those who worked with him.

      betty

      Delete
  14. Wonderful tribute, Betty. Jeff sounds like a great guy who made it through some rough times without bitterness. I'm sorry your son lost such a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abby. I know, I feel bad for my son. He always seems to get a good friend and then either he moves away or the friend moves away (and they try to stay in touch but you know how that goes) and then in Jeff's case he passed away. I do wish I had met Jeff.

      betty

      Delete
  15. This was a perfect 9/11 post. I really think that we, as a country, regularly fail our first responders, but the way we failed them related to 9/11 illness/trauma is truly unforgivable. It seems like that is slowly changing, which is good, it just needs to happen faster.

    That is so wonderful that the restaurant appreciated Jeff and worked with his limitations like that. I doubt we'll ever make it to your area for a vacation, but if we ever do, I'm going to ask you the name of the restaurant because that's a place we'd want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree, Danielle. I think we did fail the 9/11 first responders in so many ways. I just was so impressed with Jeff's story I had to share it. He was only 53 years old when he passed :( If you and Nick ever make it our way, we would be delighted to have you be our guests at the restaurant where Jeff worked and my son works :)

      betty

      Delete
  16. Ugh! My condolences to your son and everyone who loved Jeff. I LOVE that he had a collection of crazy socks! And how wonderful that the was determined to give back and live his life fully, regardless of the terrible hand he'd been dealt. I believe from what you said that he is with the Lord. May God continue to bless and use his memory! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had a chance to meet him as he made such an impact on my son. I kept hoping son would take Jeff up on his offer to go to church with him (something we extend ourselves) but I'm thinking Jeff prayed for him so who knows???

      betty

      Delete
  17. Jeff sounds like a wonderful person. How sad first responders had issues due to their jobs that terrible day and the days that followed. My condolences to all who knew him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. I think we sometimes "forget" the impact 9/11 had on the first responders, both those that lost their lives that day and then in the days, weeks, months, years to follow. I think all their stories should be told.

      betty

      Delete
  18. Oh I am so sorry for the loss of Jeff. He sounded like a genuine and good person. So sad. Sending prayers to his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish I had met him. He did leave a lasting impact on my son and I hope lessons he taught my son, he'll remember and possibly teach his son :)

      betty

      Delete
  19. Such an amazing tribute. I am so sorry for your family's loss, as well as everyone he touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had gotten the chance to meet Jeff. He did make a lasting impact on my son and I'm sure his legacy will live on for a very long time.

      betty

      Delete