Saturday, September 3, 2022

August book reviews (almost to goal)

I slowed down a bit reading in August but did read 6 books as reviewed below.  This puts my total books read for the year at 49.  I think I'll make the 50 books I challenged myself to read by the end of the year :)

Kitchen Yarns:  



This was a delightful book.  I think maybe Lori had mentioned it on her blog?  Ann Hood, the author, wrote mini essays (a chapter each) of foods she enjoyed from growing up to adulthood and beyond.  Foods her grandmother, mother, and father had made; foods she had made.  Recipes she had found and had adapted to be her own.  At the end of each chapter was the corresponding recipes for the foods she had talked about.  The essays aren't in any particular order.  Some from her childhood, then to being a young adult, a mom with young children, etc.  Always a life story along with the food impressionable to her at the time.  I really enjoyed this book and the recipes, for the most part, seemed simple and easy to put together.  I can't wait to try some of them, especially the blueberry muffins from her time as a Marsha Jordan girl. For an easy summer read or anytime of the year, I would highly recommend this book.  I give it 5 stars.

Three More Months:


Chloe is a busy pharmacist living in a different town than her mom.  She has been neglecting spending time with her mom due to being busy but plans to take a weekend soon to go visit her.  In the meantime, her mom dies.  Chloe now has to go home (about 3 hours from where she was currently living) to tend to the funeral arrangements with her brother, Andy.  Devastated with grief, they wonder how they'll get through life without their mom and Chloe also feels the guilt of not visiting her mom more.  By some miracle, she wakes up one morning before the funeral and sees she has gone back in time of about 2 months and her mom is still alive.  Over the course of the book, she tries to keep her mom alive through healthy food cooking class, exercising, and mindful meditation.  She is always anxious, wondering if something will again happen to her mom.  She plans a wonderful birthday surprise for her mom and a trip to a place her mom always wanted to go to.  They have a lovely vacation but then she wakes up again on another morning and her mom is now dead again.  She wasn't sure if she had dreamed the extra 3 months she had with her mom or if it was just a fluke in the universe but she was grateful for that time.  An interesting story.  I got a little tired of the continual writing of how much guilt Chloe had about not spending time with her mom and how she had to do everything to try to keep her mom alive, but the story was engaging and the book did wrap up at the end.  I'll give it 3 stars.




This is the description of the book from Goodreads:  Casey Fletcher, a recently widowed actress trying to escape a streak of bad press, has retreated to the peace and quiet of her family’s lake house in Vermont. Armed with a pair of binoculars and several bottles of liquor, she passes the time watching Tom and Katherine Royce, the glamorous couple who live in the house across the lake. They make for good viewing—a tech innovator, Tom is rich; and a former model, Katherine is gorgeous.  One day on the lake, Casey saves Katherine from drowning, and the two strike up a budding friendship. But the more they get to know each other—and the longer Casey watches—it becomes clear that Katherine and Tom’s marriage is not as perfect and placid as it appears. When Katherine suddenly vanishes, Casey becomes consumed with finding out what happened to her. In the process, she uncovers eerie, darker truths that turn a tale of voyeurism and suspicion into a story of guilt, obsession and how looks can be very deceiving.  With his trademark blend of sharp characters, psychological suspense, and gasp-worthy surprises, Riley Sager’s The House Across the Lake unveils more than one twist that will shock readers until the very last page.
 
Sounded like an interesting thriller and it was up to a point, but BIG SPOILER ALERT.  Casey had discovered 14 months prior that her husband was a serial killer, killing 3 women in the area and dumping their bodies in the lake.  Her intent was to turn him into the police, but instead she kills him by giving him lots of antihistamines and then taking him out to the middle of the lake and pushing him out of the boat, drowning him.  She starts drinking a lot because she can't handle the guilt of killing him or knowing he killed 3 other women (though she did not turn him in because then it might have been suspicious with his death).  Meanwhile, she does rescue Katherine from drowning.  We find out that Katherine's husband, Tom, is poisoning her slowly but in the meantime when she was in the lake, potentially drowning, she became possessed with the spirit of Len.  Now this is when I should have stopped reading the book because I do not care for these particular plots but it was about 70% into the book and I had to see how it ended.  I won't give any more spoilers (gave enough) but the book does rap up, no loose ends, but there are not pleasant parts of the last few chapters until the last epilogue we will call it.  I would never have checked out the book if I knew the plot would develop like this. I give it a 1 star because of my not liking books like this.  It was a thriller for sure and nicely written.  But just definitely not my kind of book. 


The story involves the matriarch of the family, Ronnie, her twins (Sam and Sarah), Sarah's husband (Eli), Ruby (Eli's daughter), Gabe (Ruby's fiancee) and Rosa (Gabe's mom.  Ruby and Gabe are planning to be married in Cape Cod at the family summer place where Ronnie has been hanging out since the pandemic began . Now that life is getting back to more normal, the family is looking forward to the summer wedding though each of the main characters have secrets from the past that potentially could come and expose them during the wedding weekend.  It does somewhat end "happily ever after" but there are lots of different twists to the story and a bit of sadness along the way.  A good summer read.  I give it 4 stars.  



I believe Bijoux mentioned this book and I'm glad she did as it was truly a delightful story to read.  I got "lost" in it and had trouble putting it down.  It is  a fictional story of a famous singer who had 4 children but could not remain faithful to his wife.  The story is told in the then and now with the now being centered around a party that the oldest child, now 25 years old, holds yearly at her home in Malibu, and the closeness she and her 3 siblings have with each other and the reason for their close bond.  The story was well written and had a good ending.  Definitely a great summer read.  I give it 5 stars.  


Another book I truly enjoyed.  Three families adopt siblings who are biologically related and resolve to try to have the siblings remain close to each other though raised in separate homes.  The "family" get together for holidays, weekly dinners and other events.  The story centers around their first vacation taken as a family and the dynamics of that as well as the birth mom of the four siblings (a set of twins) is pregnant again and has decided not to raise this child so the family has to decide if one of them will adopt the baby or introduce another family into their family.  Interspersed within the story are profiles of the people who are working with the adoption agency who are looking for a child and their reasons to adopt (took me a few of these profiles to get what they were).  The book doesn't resolve who the family is who will adopt the new sibling but alludes that a family has been picked.  Since I have 2 adopted children, this topic was  of interest to me (though both of mine were closed adoptions). A great read.  I give it 5 stars.  

I can't believe we are in September already! We'll blink and it will be Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas! Wow!

34 comments:

  1. They all sound like excellent books. The ending to the last one would bother me. I don't like when books leave things hanging. I need all the questions answered...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I like no loose ends. I was thinking maybe they didn't wrap it all up because there will be a sequel. I hope so in this case :)

      betty

      Delete
  2. I always find your reviews interesting even if I never get around to reading the books that sound interesting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books out there to read! I have a big list of books to add to my "to read list" to get from my local e-library. We can only hold 8 books at a time through their service so when one comes available, I'll just add the next on my list to the "on hold" list. Might take a few years to work through them all, lol :)

      betty

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Betty. Yes I did recommend Kitchen Yarns and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also tried the Jordan Marsh BB Muffins, and they are amazing. I added the recipe to my blog if you need it. I've made a lot of BB Muffins over the years and these really are SO good..
    I almost read The House Across the Lake and from your description I'm glad I didn't. It doesn't sound like my kind of book either.
    Thanks for all of the recommendations. I finished Sugar and Salt by Susan Wiggs and I think you'd really enjoy it. She has a lot of others that I've put on my list. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this author before.
    Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see your recipe for the muffins on the blog :) They looked so good there too! Can't wait for oven using time here :) Definitely stay away from the House Across the Lake. Pure evil! I will look into Sugar and Salt. I do like to "discover" new to me authors. You too have a wonderful weekend!

      betty

      Delete
  4. It looks like 'Kitchen Yarns' is a book I would enjoy reading. Misteries are hardly 'my cup of tea'. I like to read books that directly add to my everyday life knowledge.
    Your reviews are very well-written, offering a lot of detailed information of the reviewed books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duta :) I think you would enjoy Kitchen Yarns. For some reason I have trouble with nonfiction books retaining the knowledge in them, lol :) I might have to work on that in the future :)

      betty

      Delete
  5. Kitchen Yarns sounds right up my alley, so I’m adding it to my list. But oh man, the next two sound just awful to me! I can’t stand it when an author has the main character perservating on something, including guilt. It seems like it’s only there as a page filler. And someone being possessed is not my thing, either!

    I’m soooo glad you enjoyed Malibu Rising. I’m sometimes hesitant to make recommendations, not knowing if others will like something as much as me. I always enjoy a California setting. I just picked up Reid’s latest book, Carrie Soto Is Back. I’ll let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know about Carrie Soto is Back. I saw something about it, but haven't checked it out yet. I did like Kitchen Yarns. It made me really want to try some of the recipes out. I am going to make the muffins as soon as it cools down and we start using the oven again :)

      betty

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your book reviews and I do love to read. I will try a couple of those you mentioned. Right now I'm enjoying a book by Elin Hilderbrand. You might enjoy this author too. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am currently reading Hotel Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand and am enjoying it, Ma. I have read several of her other books too :)

      betty

      Delete
  7. Our reading has significantly slowed down now that we are home. But with hunting season starting it a few weeks, I am sure I will take a book or two out in the woods with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't know why I ever thought of bringing a book for hunting :) But I guess one does have to be quiet while waiting for the animals :)

      betty

      Delete
  8. Kitchen Yarns sounds delightful -- not so much for me right now, but an out-of-the-ordinary gift for a new bride. I'm still in the queue for Kristin Hannah's "Summer Island" and "The Latecomer", but my patience is running thin. (Ugh!) Have you read Last Bus to Wisdom? I've not heard of the author (Ivan Doig), but the sample is really engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the Last Bus to Wisdom. I'll have to see if our library has it. It gets frustrating waiting for a book to come available and then it seems like when it does, I have 3 or 4 that come available at the same time :) So true about Kitchen Yarns being a nice shower gift for a new bride :)

      betty

      Delete
  9. Hope those blueberry muffins come out good. The second book sounds different and interesting. Those last three books sound good to me too. I need to mark them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to making those muffins, not that I need the calories, lol :) Hoping you are having a nice weekend, Debby!

      betty

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy your reviews, Betty, and add several of the books to my Goodreads list. I did read Three More Months and I think anyone who lost their mother can kind of relate to it. I couldn't help thinking of what I would do or how things would go if I had my mother for three more months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanette :) I can kind of relate to the daughter in Three More Months wanting more time with their mom; I certainly would like to have had more time my mom :) It just was a bit tedious in the writing of it or perhaps it was just my mood with reading the book :) Hope you are having a nice weekend :)

      betty

      Delete
  11. We enjoy your reviews. I am still on Westerns, Sherry shops around for Christian Novelists. She is with Tess Thompson now Methinks. She read everything Tracie Peterson wrote while back.
    love to y'all from NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! I'll have to check out the authors you mentioned that Sherry enjoys reading :)

      betty

      Delete
  12. Up to 49 books for the year already - impressive! Your reviews always add to my to-read list. Any Other Family sounds like a bit of a can of worms. I was *almost* involved in an open adoption, and I'm glad it was resolved differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I was glad in a way that both of our adoptions were closed. If I can get my son's permission (I just have to ask him) I will post his story of his birth family :) It is a bit interesting and at the end of the day, knowing what I can surmise, I'm glad it was a closed adoption :)

      betty

      Delete
  13. I put this "Kitchen Yarns" book on my wishlist on Amazon, Betty. Thank you for the suggestion. "The House Across The Lake" book looks familiar. I don't know if I got it for my Kindle or if I just thought it looked really good. I'll have to check. You got some good reading in so far this year. Cheers for you!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Kitchen Yarns; I think you'll like it too Andrea :) I do enjoy reading and I'm so thankful there is so many good books out there to read and our library offers so many ways to get the books checked out :)

      betty

      Delete
  14. I always enjoy reading your reviews, Betty.
    Kitchen Yarns sounds interesting.
    Have a great week ahead, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! That Kitchen Yarns book seems to be a favorite of people here in the comments. It was very interesting. I liked the fact it was short chapters that included the recipes that weren't complicated for the most part and all sounded so delicious! You too have a great week ahead, Veronica!

      betty

      Delete
  15. Wow that Kitchen Yarns book looks really good! I may have to check that out! I am enjoying Jell-O Girls by Allie Rowbottom! I think you would like it, Betty. Happy fall and love to Winslow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to check out that book, Jenny. I had not heard of it. I think you would like Kitchen Yarns too. Lol, it will be fall here in November but thank you! Happy fall to you too!! Winslow is having a post coming out tonight or tomorrow.

      Betty

      Delete
  16. You are much closer to your goal than I am! I'm about nine books behind. I'm adding Kitchen Yarns to my list. I love cookbooks with lots of stories about the recipes, so that sounds perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like Kitchen Yarns, Danielle. I was very pleasantly surprised with it :)

      betty

      Delete
  17. You're getting closer to your goal. I wish I had time to read more. I've been reading a chapter or two a night and it takes me forever to finish a book! I'm working on "Jar of Hearts" right now but I'm just a few chapters in. Kitchen Yarns sounds cute and interesting. I will add it to my reading list. I have seen The House Across the Lake recommended in a Facebook reading group I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Jars of Hearts but looked it up. Sounds interesting. Kitchen Yarns is relatively lighthearted and easy to read, plus the recipes look and sound so delicious!

      betty

      Delete