Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ask, seek, knock

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.

What should I be asking for?
What should I be seeking?
Where should I be knocking?

If I go with the premise that God already knows what I need physically (Matthew 6:28-32); he clothes the lilies of the field, he will clothe me.  He knows I need food to eat, liquid to drink, clothes to wear. 

He knows I need those things.  He knew I would need the physical before he even created me, or anyone else.  He knows our needs.

Knowing that, knowing the physical is important, but the spiritual is more important (Matthew 6:33  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well), when I ask, seek, knock, should it be more directed towards something that will impact eternity and not necessarily all that impacts physical to make my life easier on earth?

So to ask for wisdom, understanding, love, patience, mercy, compassion, kindness, peace, knowledge.

To seek - God - pursue him, spend time with him, adore him, fear him, love him completely, totally.

Knock - to make myself, my needs known to God.  Physical thing that happens when you knock.

Ask - speaking
Seeking - looking
Knocking - making a purposeful effort to make my presence known, putting myself vulnerable, will the door open? How will the person opening the door respond, etc.

God is telling me

If I ask - I receive - he hears my prayers - he will provide

If I seek - I will find what I'm seeking - GOD!

If I knock, he will open the door willingly.

Revelation 3:20 Here I am, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.

When you knock Lord, help me to open the door willingly.

(I'm still thinking a lot about the concept of ask, seek, knock; this is in conjunction with thoughts I'm having as I'm doing a study on prayer based on Live a Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean).

2 comments:

  1. You have a way of explaining things that helps me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you for these posts. I am getting so much out of them. I have worked on Sundays for so many years....don't ever go to church anymore, so you are going to be my personal preacher....I hope you don't mind. I love the way you teach. :) hugs.

    ReplyDelete