Sunday, January 9, 2022

A few favorite reads from 2021

I like to read, always have and probably always will.  I mainly read when I'm walking the treadmill 5 days a week for 35 minutes.  I use my tablet for reading e-books that I get from our local public library.  I also check out "regular" books from them that I read at night before bed.  It takes me about 7-10 days to read an e-book and about 3 months (lol) to read a "regular" book because I tend to read a few pages and then am too tired to keep my eyes open.  

I thought in 2022 it might be fun to keep a list of the books I read.  I probably read about 30-40 books a year.  I haven't finished any books yet for this new year, but thought I would share 3 of my favorite from last year.  I also plan to review in sets of three, the books that I read in this new year.

So, in no particular order, here my favorites from the year 2021:

The Family by Naomi Krupitsky.  I'll just give a little synopsis of each book I feature.  This book tells the story of 2 best friends that grew up in mob families.  It is fictional.  It was easy to read, descriptive, but, without giving away anything about the end, it just ended.  It seems like the majority of books I read these days just end.  They don't wrap up loose pieces or do an epilogue so we know what happens to the characters.  I become attached to the characters in books and I want to make sure they'll be okay at the end.  Know what I mean?  Still, this book was really good and I do recommend it.


The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles.  It is historical fiction based on the heroic librarians at the American Library in Paris during WWII.  It is told in both the past and the present.  It was informative to read about the history of the library.  I didn't realize there was an American Library in Paris (still is to this day) so I did learn some new things as a result of reading this book.  I enjoyed the plot very much and it did sort of wrap things up by the end of the book.  


The final one is Nomadland by Jessica Bruder.  This was a nonfiction book.  Now normally I don't read a lot on nonfiction books (do you?).  I'm not sure why I don't.  I speed read and skim a lot when I'm reading fiction, so perhaps it is because it is harder (for me at least) to skim through a nonfiction book I find it more difficult to read them.  Maybe that's why I don't read a lot of them.  I didn't realize this was a nonfiction book until after I started reading it.  It flows like a fiction book though (I'm sure this makes no sense).  The story is basically as a way to escape homelessness some people decide to buy trailers or convert vehicles to be trailers and they basically live on the road going from camp site to camp site, seasonal job to seasonal job, in order to survive.  The book was written back in 2017 and I understand a Netflix movie was made about it, which I have not seen.  I did enjoy reading about the history about workamping (the term used for camping from site to site and working from site to site).  Amazon even hired (not sure that they still do) workampers for their seasonal times of needing lots of employees.  It was a very interesting read coupled by the fact that the annual get together for workampers was held in Quartzsite, Arizona  which is about 125 miles from where I live.  Yearly (before the pandemic) many would come to Quartzsite in January to convene as a mini convention for workamping and RV living with seminars and other get togethers to discuss the lifestyle they had chosen to pursue.  We recently drove through Quartzite on our way back to Phoenix from San Diego.  It is a very small town with a lot of RV parks.  Anyway, the book was informative and I did enjoy reading it.  Again, highly recommended.  



Let me know if you have read any of these three I featured as well as what your favorite book of 2021 might have been as well as what you are currently reading.  I am always looking for a good read.  

30 comments:

  1. I used to go to the American library and the British library in the city of Tel-Aviv. These libraries belonged administratively to the respective embassies or their cultural centers.
    I tend to read chiefly non-fiction books as they give me knowledge and info in many fields of life, whereas fiction provides mainly pleasure, fun, entertainment, escapism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool, Duta, that you went to both the American and British libraries in Tel-Aviv! I think if I read more nonfiction books, I probably would have learned that countries have different libraries other than their own :) I am trying to make it a habit to read one nonfiction book a month at least, during my lunch at work. So far I've gotten two read over the past few months, so we'll see if I eventually read one that I "review" on my blog :)

      betty

      Delete
  2. I’ve always been an avid reader and usually get through one book per week. I read while I eat my breakfast and lunch/afternoon tea. I’ve recently read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue (girl makes a pact with the devil and lives forever, but no one remembers her), The Lost Apothecary (1670’s female apothecary who makes poison concoction to kill men and a present day women who is looking into that history) and Daisy Jones & The Six (1970’s band). They are all sort of ‘dark’ but just happened to be what I’ve picked up at the library.

    I’ve not read any of yours, though I’ve heard of Nomanland and The Paris Library. Based on your review, I think I’ll definitely read The Paris Library! One of my friend’s daughters is living out of her car and working at either a National park or state park out west. Maybe Utah or Oregon? She has a degree in geology and just wants to live that lifestyle. 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an adventure for your friend's daughter! If they are young and can "handle" it, I think its good to experience such a lifestyle like that. The majority of the people in Nomadland that they featured were older people (like in their 50s/early 60s). To some, it was a hard lifestyle, but one they were determined to try to pursue :)

      I hadn't heard of the books you mentioned. I'm going to write them down and check to see if our library carries them either through e-books or the other format :)

      betty

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these titles, but I'd heard the movie Nomadland is very good. I didn't know the plot, but now that I do, might have to check it out. Maybe I'll read the book first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear Nomadland was a good movie too. I might have to re-join Netflix to watch it. I usually wait until there are a few things/series I want to watch on it then get it back for a month or two and then cancel my subscription again :)

      betty

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea, Betty! When I fell out of the reading habit (a life-long thing), it seemed audio books was the solution for when I walked. Then that, too, fell by the way. I forget who, but some learned someone or another said going back to 'real' books helps. I've not tried that yet, but have opted to forego the free Prime books in favor of authors I know. I'm only on my first one, but feel I won't be disappointed come the end.

    PS - I, too, become attached to characters. So ya, it just abruptly ending would annoy me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your "real" books Myra. I was trying to come up with a term other than "regular" but couldn't, lol. I have 2-3 free Prime books I still need to read but they are on my phone. I've been trying to read some at lunch, but then I started doing nonfiction books at lunch, lol. So many good books and not enough time to read the! Glad you are back to reading again though!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. It normally takes me a while to read a book because I usually just read during my lunch time or on my breaks. I haven't read anything in quite some time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going through times when I didn't read much. I also remember when my kids were younger just being able to read a few pages a day and it would take me a bit of a time to finish a book :)

      betty

      Delete
  7. I read "The Paris Library" and enjoyed it. We watched the movie "Nomadland" and highly recommend it. Frances McDorman is exceptional (as usual) in the lead role. I'm presently reading "The Shape of Mercy" by Susan Meissner and have recently read the great story surrounding the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 "The Nature of Fragile Things" by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to get Netflix back so I can watch Nomadland. I think I heard it run several Oscars. I'll have to check out the two books you mentioned here.

      betty

      Delete
  8. I've not read any of the books you mentioned but I've heard of the movie Nomadland. It's on my movies-to-watch list.

    Happy Tuesday, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people like that movie, Nomadland,so I bet you will too Veronica! Have a great day too!

      Betty

      Delete
  9. I have not read any of those books but put them on my Goodreads list to read in the future! I'll have to check out the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look at Goodreads. I think I have an account there lol, but never did anything with it. Thanks for reminding me about it!

      Betty

      Delete
  10. It is so nice that you read. I want so much to get into the habit of reading. Obviously I have not suggestions for you. I read romance novels if I read. Your books sound interesting and I did see the Nomadland movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to see the movie. I just need to reactivate my Netflix acct lol. Start small with reading. Like 10 to 15 minutes a day. I find once I get hooked in a book the time goes by fast on the treadmill.

      Betty

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you left a link at your old blog, for this new blog, Betty. I've added it to my blog list. :-) That "Nomadland" contains stories about the lives of some YouTubers I watch. I'm not really into living the nomad life but it's always interested me from a "homesteader" perspective. I've have to see if I can find the online book from my local library. Happy Reading! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize some of the characters had YouTube channels. I will have to check them out. I do like learning about them but like you, it is not a lifestyle I would want to pursue. I will be over to visit your blog later today.

      Betty

      Delete
  12. I've heard of Nomadland but none of the others. I read a lot of fantasy; I don't know if you're into that or not. This year I am trying to read more nonfiction, specifically biographies or autobiographies. I am not sure how long that will last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read fantasy in awhile. My daughter enjoyed it. I can't remember the last biography or autobiography I read. I might put a few on my list this year :)

      betty

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the book recommendations. I've just put The Paris Library on hold at my local library. I tend to gravitate to nonfiction more than fiction, but last year, I did read some good fiction (check my Goodreads!). I'd recommend The Women in Black by Madeleine St. John (about a department store in the 50's in Sydney, Australia) It's a feel-good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check your Goodreads Neta! I also am going to check if The Women in Black is available through our library. I need to read more nonfiction but have trouble sometimes absorbing what I read and have to go back and read things again and again :)

      betty

      Delete
  14. I'm the opposite with regular books and audio books. We listen to audio books at night before we go to sleep and I always fall asleep. It takes months to finish one. I can finish a regular book in a day or two if I really like it. Have you tried goodreads to track your books? It makes it really easy to keep up with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Goodreads and I think I might have an account or a log in with them. I'll put it on my list of things to check out this weekend :) I too fall asleep if I'm listening to someone reading. For me, it is so relaxing!

      betty

      Delete