Saturday, April 2, 2022

Books (March)

March was a great reading month! I "made" myself finish some library books that were due back to the library (mainly e-books) and one hardcover book that I had out since January. I mentioned it before, but our library basically renews the hardcover books for you automatically every 3 weeks unless there is a hold for them and the books I get haven't had any holds on them.  I try to get the books back in a timely manner but that is not always the case.

So, on to book reviews for the month of March.

The first book was My Sister's Child by Karen Clarke.  Basically, the main character is raising a young boy who we find out is her sister's.  Her sister had a dubious past.  Her sister also dies in the very beginning of the book.  The main character is not sure who the baby's father is as her sister never revealed that info.  It is a bit of a mystery with the book and some interesting turns in it.  By three fourths into the book I figured out the father.  A good read; I'll give it 4 stars.


My second book for the month was A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.  Bijoux had mentioned this book in a list of favorites she had done several months ago.  I put it on my list to read.  Oh my gosh, this book is a GEM of a book.  Down the line I'm going to do another post about a quote from it (actually a very long quote) that just struck me so much and was so true.  Anyway, the book starts in the early 1920s after the Russian revolution.  For "crimes" he has committed Count Alexander Rostov is ordered to spend the rest of his life in the hotel he has been living in for the past 4  years.  It is such a well written book that follows his life there for about 30 or so years.  Beautifully written! Along with his story there is also the side story of things regarding Russia and its history.  Timely to read with what is going on currently in Ukraine and Russia.  I read this on my tablet as an e-book from our library and I had to get up a few mornings about an half an hour earlier to finish reading it before it was due back, but it was worth it.  Down the line I want to read it again, slowly this time with a hard copy of it to underline so much "wisdom" that was written in it.  Highly recommend this book! Of interest, another book written by the same author, The Lincoln Highway, I have heard was not as good and harder to get into.  I don't plan at this stage to read it, but who knows?


The third book was The Children's Secret by Nina Monroe.  Here is what the book is about that I copied from the Amazon website promoting it.  "
Nothing ever happens in a sleepy town like Middlebrook. Until the residents are shaken to their core, when one hot Saturday afternoon, at a back-to-school party, nine children sneak into a barn...and only eight come out unharmed."  This was a hardcover book from our local library.  It was a riveting story and held my interest.  Again, I'd give it 4 stars if you enjoy a bit of a mystery.  


The fourth book was Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult.  I have read a lot of her books and enjoy the majority of them.  This book was a fictional book that began as the pandemic started in March 2020.  The first half of the book for me was really hard to get into and I almost gave up but I stuck with it.  It was the book I had checked out from our library in January and I was determined to get it read to return it by April 2nd which is when another batch of books we got were due back.  I woke up one Saturday morning early and went out to read it, being on a schedule where I was going to try to read 50 pages Saturday, then 50 pages Sunday and then the next 70 or so pages left throughout the week to finish the book.  The story did an interesting twist that I did not expect and I ended up reading the last 170 pages of the book that Saturday.  It was a good story.  It brought back a lot of the anxiety felt at the start of the pandemic.  I'd give it 3.5 stars and patience with the first half of the book.  


The fifth book I read was The Nazi's Knew My Name by Magda Hellinger and Maya Lee.  It is a true story of a Jewish woman during the Holocaust in Auschwitz and other concentration camps.  She was put in charge of "barracks" where other Jewish woman were held but did her best to try to save as many women's lives as she could.  As Amazon said on its website "
The Nazis Knew My Name is one woman’s story about the bravery and kindness shown by her mother in the Holocaust concentration camps."  World War 2 and the Holocaust are "interesting" to me so occasionally I will read either a nonfiction book about it or a fictional account.  This is definitely a true story.  It is a sad story but that was a terribly sad awful time.  I would only recommend it if one was "interested" in books from this time period.  




And lastly, I read Invisible by Danielle Steele.  I don't know why I keep reading her, lol, but I had this on hold from our local e-library so when it came my time to read it, I just downloaded it.  It was the classic formula Danielle Steele.  Tough childhood, finds love, loses love, finds love again, everyone lives happily after.  The only good thing about reading her books is I can basically skim through them while I'm exercising on the treadmill and they are fast reads.  I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.  It held my interest, but very predictable.  I think I have one more of her books on hold and then I'm done with her (I think I said this last month too).  




So now I am at 14 books done for my goal of 50 for the year.  A fourth of the year gone (can you imagine?) so I think I'm pretty on target!

Let me know what you are reading or have read lately.  Always on a lookout for my next read.  

40 comments:

  1. All sound like good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Ann! For once I didn't have a "dud" in the group. I feel like my February ones I chose weren't the best ones for me lol :) Have a great day!

      betty

      Delete
  2. I recently came across a Gentleman in Moscow and added it to my to read list!
    The Children's secret does seem very interesting!!

    Hopping in from the A-Z community,
    Dream
    https://thedreamgirlwrites.wordpress.com/2022/04/02/broken/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I did enjoy the Children's Secret. In fact when I checked it out of the library and started reading it, it intrigued me so I put aside the book I was currently reading at the time "Wish You Were Here" and continued reading that one first :)

      betty

      Delete
  3. I am going to add Gentleman in Moscow to my reading list.
    Sadly I am not on target for my reading goal but Summer is when I do a majority of my reading so there is still hope for me. My Mom was a huge Danielle Steel fan years ago. I remember her not wanting to put her book down to fix dinner sometimes. lol
    Not sure why I have never read any of her books.
    Have a wonderful weekend Betty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will get to your goal, Lori, with reading for the year :) Summer is a good time to read, especially here in Phoenix when it gets beastly hot :) I know my MIL read a lot of Danielle Steele too. She and my FIL would do a lot of RV traveling and stay at parks where they had a free library where you could take a book and leave a book. She picked up a lot of Danielle Steele books to read that way :) You too have a great weekend Lori! It's gorgeous weather here today so will take advantage of it while we can :)

      betty

      Delete
  4. I’m SO glad you loved the book! It was such a feel good story, despite his circumstances. And while I didn’t like The Lincoln Highway, it seems everyone else does. It just wasn’t my thing. However, his other book, Rules of Civility, was a pretty good one, too.

    I’m over the WW2 and Holocaust books. I just can’t do them anymore, but I understand why they are popular and important for us to never forget what happened not that long ago. The Children’s Secret sounds interesting to me, so I’ll write it down. I just now finished Did I Say You Could Go by Melanie Gideon. I truly could not put it down! I never read suspense type books, so it was something really different for me. It’s about a friendship turned stalker situation between two women, as well as touching on girls and social media. Relevant and well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote that book down to read by Melanie Gideon. It does sound interesting!! I'm going to have to check out Rules of Civility down the road too. I think I "like" WW2 books because of my dad's involvement with it being in a prisoner camp as he was a Polish soldier. I think I feel connected to him somehow through reading about what others went through at the time as, I'm sure you'll remember, he died when I was 18 months old so I never really "knew" him. In fact right now I'm reading 2 books from that time period, lol. "The Forest of Vanishing Stars" and "The Three Sisters". Both so far are good. Have a nice rest of the weekend!

      betty

      Delete
  5. You have varied interest,that is for sure. Thanks for the reviews...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jack! I still have to get my Western book in for my reading this year :)

      betty

      Delete
  6. I put a few of those books on my Goodreads list for future reading. I am currently reading "The Last House on the Street" by Diane Chamberlain. It's really good and I highly recommend it! I always read Danielle Steel's books. They are usually good but yes, like you said, predictable! I tried to read "A Gentleman in Moscow" but couldn't get into it! Maybe I should give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put that Diane Chamberlain book on my list to read, Jeanette. I don't think I've read anything from her before. It took me a bit to get into A Gentleman in Moscow, probably about 30 pages or so, but then it captured my attention and kept me going :)

      betty

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. :) I have always enjoyed reading. My daughter got the love of reading but my son didn't. And now his son isn't fond of reading :(

      betty

      Delete
  8. How disciplined you are, Betty! Maybe I need to take a page from your playbook and schedule a number of pages at a certain time of day. Left to my own devices I'm not doing so hot. Of these you've detailed, I'm most drawn to a Children's Secret and My Sister's Child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like either one of those two books, Myra. What I found was there were times I was mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and during those times I picked up my tablet or the hardcover book. Then of course I ran out of time with the one book, that's why I got up early to finish it, lol. This month I'll be lucky if I get two books read lol :)

      betty

      Delete
  9. Here from Liveandlearn's blog. You have a good list of book possibilities and I appreciate the summaries. Have you read any books by Ruta Sepetys? They are historical fiction and usually listed as young adult genre, but I have found them to be well written and absorbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read any books by Ruta Sepetys but I put their name down to check to see what our local library carries of their work. I do enjoy historical fiction! Thanks for the visit!

      betty

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good selection! I'm sharing my TBR and some reviews this month.

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting; heading over to your blog shortly to check it out :)

      betty

      Delete
  11. As part of my job, I recommend books to people. I always like to hear what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would indeed be a fun job to have!

      betty

      Delete
  12. 14 books is a great for this year. I haven't read any! lol I do usually join the library's reading club so I hope to find some time to catch up on some books this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about the library's reading club for my grandson for the summer. Maybe I'll join along with him :) You are so busy I can't imagine you even have a moment to yourself some days!

      betty

      Delete
  13. Wow, 14 books already! Good for you, and thanks for this list. I struggle to make time, and there are so many good ones. I'm adding My Sister's Child and A Gentleman in Moscow to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like both of those books, Abby. I'm making myself make time lol. I find I spend a lot of unnecessary time on Facebook like I think I mentioned before. Now I make myself get my tablet or the hardcover book I'm reading and use that time more productively. But I'm also lucky in that I don't have any chores to do around the house, lol. Hubby takes care of all of that so I have more available time (and that's why I'm always to continue working :)

      betty

      Delete
  14. Danielle Steele is partly how I got my name. My mom read a lot of her books when was pregnant with me. She was on bedrest, so had a lot of time to read.

    I recently reread "The Shellseekers" by Rosamunde Pilcher. It's one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Shellseekers a long time ago. I still remember it (which is amazing) and I did enjoy it! Oh how cute with how you got your name!

      betty

      Delete
  15. That's a lot of books. They sound interesting and I appreciate your reviews on them. I used to read every Danielle Steel book that came out back in the 80' and 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Danielle Steele put out a lot of books during those years. I think she does about 4-5 books a year. She is very prolific as a writer.

      Betty

      Delete
  16. Wow, it sounds like you had great fun reading them! even "Wish you were here" and "Invisible". I´ll add them to my reading list, thanks for your honest reviews. I just read "The Irish Cottage" by Juliet Gauvin and "Wish upon a Shell" by Kay Correll, they were cozy romances to lull me to a good night sleep on insomnia nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of either book you mentioned but added them to my list to take a peek at them. Yuck with the insomnia. Always hard to function without a good night's sleep.

      Betty

      Delete
  17. Well now that I have heard of the Gentleman in Moscow book twice, I may have to look into that. And yes, you did say you were done with Danielle Steel, haaahaha! Good job on your reading goals. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like A Gentleman in Moscow. It is rich in description and imagery. I think maybe I have to join a 12 step program to get away from Danielle Steele and her books.

      Betty

      Delete
  18. Ah! Interesting book list, I haven't read quite a bit of this list. Thank You for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to be better about reading. I used to keep a stack of library books by my bed (and usually owed a great deal in fines for not getting them back in time) and I read all the time. I have the bad habit of playing on my phone instead. Need to break that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local library keeps renewing the books for us every 3 weeks. It was like that before the pandemic too. Kind of neat. I've kept books for close to 4 months before returning them. I too have the bad habit of playing on my phone. That's why these days I'm making more of an effort to set goals of when I'll finish a book and reach for a book or my tablet instead of my phone. It is a hard habit to break though!

      betty

      Delete
  20. My Sister's Child sounds intriguing. I like a good mystery. The Nazis Knew My Name sounds good too but I struggle to read books about the Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sister's Child is a good book for a mystery. I did enjoy reading it. I like the WW2 period in history so that's why I think I read a lot of books from that time period. Also like I mentioned in another reply to a comment my dad came from Poland and during WW2 was in the Polish army and actually in a German war camp. He emigrates to the States after the war and met my mom, got married, had 3 kids and died 6 years after they were married. He didn't talk much about the war time and I never really knew him so sometimes I think reading books about that period makes me closer to him :)

      betty

      Delete