Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Psalms

If I was to list my favorite books of the Bible, Psalms would be in the top five, if not the top one as I enjoy them all so much.  There are 150 psalms.  This article gives a lot of great information about them if someone wants to read more about the psalms.  

A lot of people are familiar with Psalm 23:  

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall now want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  

Here are some of my favorite verses within the psalms.  I often pray the psalms when I'm praying, especially these two:

Psalm 16:8 I know the Lord is always with me.  I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

Psalm 74:16-17 The day is yours and yours also the night.  You established the sun and the moon.  It was you who set all the boundaries of the earth.  You made both summer and winter. 

This psalm really spoke to me when I was growing closer to God.

Psalm 9:9-10 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

And others I memorized:

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 121:1-2 I lift up my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.

Psalm 73:25-26 Whom have I in heaven but you, and earth has nothing I desire but you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 86:2 Guard my life for I am devoted to you.  Save your servant who trusts in you.

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 25:4-5 Show me your ways O Lord, teach me your paths, guide me in your truth and teach me for you are God, my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

And so many more that I could list.  I just love them all.  

I have written scripture that I want to memorize or have memorized on 3 x 5 index cards for memorization purposes.  A lot of times I'll take one of those index cards and tape it to my desk at work and just read it throughout the day and think about what the words say.  For me, it is very uplifting especially if having a rough day or rough time.  

I also enjoy the book of Proverbs, but that's another post for another day (and probably not in the A/Z challenge).

26 comments:

  1. What a good way to remember these and nice way to get through a work day as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family went through a rough time a few years back that left me really anxious and stressed. I prayed daily, continually, but I still was anxious and barely making it through my days. Finally I came upon this study on anxiety. It was a 30 day study. Every day began with a scripture dealing with trust, etc. It was encouraged to write the scripture down and to think about it during the day when feeling anxious, stressed, etc. That was such a lifesaver for me to help me be less anxious. So I just started adopting that technique of writing down scripture and keeping it by me to turn to especially when going through rough days or times :)

      betty

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your favorites, Betty. Would you believe Middle Child’s Bible study group just finished a study on Psalms? They started back in January. I don’t think they did all of them, though. Here’s an interesting tidbit for you. . . The band U2 sings a song based on Psalm 40. I think it’s just called 40. I love to sing along. I also love discovering when a worship song from church has lyrics based on Psalms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great Bible study for Middle Child's study group to do! I bet it was an awesome study! I have studied individual psalms. I was doing a psalm a day back in the fall. Got up to psalm 42 and then took a break for a bit.

      I did listen to that 40 song by U2. Very nice song and all scripturally correct. I also saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l40S5e90KY on YouTube. It is an encounter between Bono and Eugene Peterson who wrote the Message (they call the Message a Bible translation, I look at it more like a paraphrase). Anyway, I couldn't listen to the whole YouTube thing right now but plan to at work today (it is about 22 minutes long). Who ever thought Bono? I didn't!

      I too like to sing worship songs based on Psalms. Marty Goetz writes a lot of his songs from psalms. All great ones I've listened to!

      betty

      Delete
    2. I have been a huge U2 fan since the early 80’s. They were originally considered a Christian band by some. Many of their songs reference Christianity. I’m sure that’s why Bono has done so much charity work. I’m going to look up Marty to see if I know his songs and I’ll check out the link.

      Delete
    3. I didn't know that about U2. I will have to look up more of their music. I doubt you will know any of Marty's songs as I didn't before I started listening to him a few months ago. There is a big Messianic praise venue I was not aware of until then, but all so enjoyable to listen to.

      Betty

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing some of your favorites with us. The book of Psalms is full of encouragement for me as well.
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true that Psalms is a book of encouragement and so much more! Have a fantastic day too Lori!

      betty

      Delete
  4. I like Psalms and Proverbs a lot, too. You picked meaningful verses to share and for me to remember. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Proverbs too is so rich in wisdom! Have a great day!

      betty

      Delete
  5. I think your index card 'pick me up' e
    practice is genius, Betty. Even outside the office arena there's bound to be opportunities to reach for solace ... like right now sitting at the VA waiting for Tom's (regular) visit. Waiting is not my strong suit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psalm 27:14. Wait for the Lord. There is more to it lol if you want to look it up. I used to take a stack of index cards and practice memorizing scripture when I walked Koda. Good time management lol. I hope Tom's visit went well.

      Betty

      Delete
  6. I like your index card idea. The book of Psalms is often a calm in a storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I got the idea from a former pastor's wife during a Bible study. So true about the book of Psalms being a calm in a storm.

      Betty

      Delete
  7. I need to write these on index cars. Very inspiring. I do know the 23 Psalm like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have handy scripture especially when anxious or worried. I also try to quote something before sleep to help calm me if I feel stressed.

      Betty

      Delete
  8. There is some poetry here to be sure, even for an atheist like me. One can admire the words and the sentiment even when you don't share the beliefs.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And psalms are a form of Hebrew poetry. It was fascinating to read up on the structure of the psalms. One thing I remember is they don't do rhymes like we do but rhyme ideas or concepts. I also read they are easy to translate to pretty much any other language.

      Betty

      Delete
  9. Yes the book of Psalms is just packed with words to still the soul or wake it up. Glad you chose Psalms for your P.
    Portal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Each psalm is just wonderful to read and meditate on.

      Betty

      Delete
  10. I love the book of Psalms too. They've encouraged me many times when I'm feeling stressed or distant from Jesus. My pastor gave us a great way to read through the Psalms every month. Not sure if it was his original idea. You read all the Psalms corresponding to today's date. For example, today's the 19th so start with Psalm 19 then add 30 so next one would be Psalm 49 add 30 to 49 so next is 79, 109, 139. Those would the Psalm readings for today. Tomorrow you start with Ps 20. then to each add 30. It's a great way to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to read the Psalms. I had not heard of that before. I might have to try that. I would have to write them down on a calendar to keep track of. For Proverbs they recommend a chapter a day corresponding with the day of the month since there are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs.

      Betty

      Delete
  11. That's a good idea with the index cards for something you want to memorize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is. I guess that is why flash cards are great for times table and the like :)

      betty

      Delete
  12. The Psalms are truly a comfort. I am reading through them daily in my Bible reading, and that reminds me that I need to thank you for drawing my attention at the first of the year, to the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan, which I have faithfully followed and am enjoying so much. Every day nearly, I come across a passage that I feel compelled to write down in my journal. It's a wonderful way to start the day and thanks again for mentioning this particular reading plan. I also read the Daily Light, which is another devotional that I love. You mentioned the Proverbs. One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 4:18: But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look into the Daily Light. I am not familiar with that devotional. You are welcome about that reading plan. I too am enjoying it. I believe the Lord directed me to it. I like that Proverb. I like a lot of others too. So much wisdom in the Bible if people would only read it.

      Betty

      Delete